Sunday, July 22, 2007

Chick in a Bucket

One of the things to which we've all had to adjust is the sporadic, or in some cases, the entire absence, of basic services such as electricity, water, sewage disposal and regular garbage pick ups.

Since August of 2006, residents have suffered with the Ghana government imposed "load shedding" program, whereby the electricity is switched off for 12 hours as a time, every other day. If you're lucky, as we are, you use a standby generator to, well, stand by. Ours is small, but plenty loud, with a decibel level not unlike three lawn mowers running simultaneously. And it's plenty expensive to run: it costs about $20 for 12 hours worth of gas. If we ran our generator each and every time the lights were off, we'd be spending on average $300 a month. Plus whatever we have to pay the Ghana Electric Company for their, ahem, kindness, which amounts to about $35 a month.

So, what we do, to save money, our sanity and our hearing (did I mention how LOUD the generator is?), we try to leave the house during day time lights off, so that during the hottest part of the day, we're out doing something else, like hitting the beach or playing football, it doesn't matter what, just something. When we get home we've (hopefully) only got an hour or so to wait for the lights to come back on. Basically, the money we'd have spent on gas for the generator goes to Star Beer for me and Sly and sodas for the kidlets.

When it comes to night time lights off, though, I can't live without A/C, or at the very very least, a ceiling fan. I know what you're thinking -- what a WUSS. Yes, I am.

There are two choices, as I see it, and neither of them involves me melting in a puddle of sweat. Either the generator gets filled, or we sleep somewhere where there IS electricity. Of late, that destination has been my brother-in-law's house in the exclusive area of East Legon, a suburb of Accra. It's a big lovely house, but it's lonely. It needs us. And (BONUS), they have lights off on a schedule exactly opposite us! If we're "lights off" on Sunday night, their house is "lights off" Sunday day. Works great and we can almost totally avoid "lights off" if we plan it right.

And there's even a well on the property, so we don't have to rely on the Ghana Water Company. I mean, the mess with our electricity is because our dam is too low. Helloooo! It's only a matter of time, the way I see it . So the well is, well, swell. The water just comes right up out of the ground. All the water you can ever need. There's only one "minor problem" -- the guest bathroom has no shower curtain.

I really hate bucket baths... I could never be an Amish (all you Witness fans will know what I'm referring to). I like, no, I
need the water to come down on me all at once, in steady strong rivulets (oh, and hot water would be a big plus!). I want want Joan Crawford had (and all you Mommy Dearest fans will know what I'm referring to). Some day soon, I will have a shower like that.

But, when a bucket is all you've got, you deal with it, right? Right. Now, what I see as a burden, someone else sees as a blessing. A picture is worth a thousand words.



Oh, that "minor problem" I mentioned... well, I can fix that 1-2-3. The real question is, "Should I?" I guess not. Just another sacrifice a parent has to make for the sake of their kids happiness. Now, when do I get my stained glass window?

6 comments:

  1. Ha! The on/off 'schedule' seems to be more predictable since we got back from vacation...and you have to admit the weather's been grand! But every time it rains buckets I wonder "Isn't the lake full YET?" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Barb, now you have a place to go to get extra cash to get yourself a bigger generator (see above). Now that picture is priceless and the grin and the gap in the front teeth. Ah, reminds me of myself - circa 1982 in Kumasi. Though I don't remember ever taking a bubble bath in a bucket. In a big plastic pan! Definitely.
    Kwasi Appiah
    Chicago

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Barbara,
    I really do enjoy these entries. Once again, you are better than me. I don't know if I could be as brave and adaptable as you are. Just last week, we were in Michigan and there were no DUNKIN DONUTS in sight!!!! Couldn't wait to get back to Freehold for my CAWFEE !!!!!!
    Fran from Freehold : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Barb,

    I've stumbled across your blog and I haven't laughed so much in awhile. I, too, am married to a Ghanaian and your recounting hits close to home. We live in Canada but hope to move to Ghana within the next 10 years. Working in Ghana is far less stressful than the West. My husband originates from Gushegu/Tamale. I was there 3 years ago and actually miss bathing out of a bucket! LOL We eat light soup all the time here because we found a powdered version of Fufu....it's called "NEAT" Fufu, imported from Ghana. One day, use the powdered and tell your husband you were busy all day pounding. The pride would shine off his head. LOL.. I could go on talking with you for hours. I hope one day to meet you and your family in Ghana. Take care, Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello from Spain.. I apologise for I can´t write english very well but your articles I understand good and i liked.

    greetings to ghana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Barb just read all of your blog. Its nice to see the pictures and weird to read of some of what goes on. Wish you were all here. Can't wait to see you all next summer and one of these days I will find a ship that leaves from close by us and goes your way cause you know me a flying just doesn't work well. Keep it up it neat to read. Love toall Pattie

    ReplyDelete