Monday, January 21, 2008

Ghana GOOAAALLLL!! CAN 2008 is here!

My experience with soccer has been limited to watching Sean play during Saturday morning games of his Pee Wee soccer team. Being from New Jersey, with parents from the "Big Apple," well, baseball, I know, I get, and I love it. It is not boring. I am a huge N.Y. Yankees fan; I cried the day Thurman Munson was killed in a plane crash (August 2nd, 1979... and I didn't look the date up). But soccer was an unknown sport to me. The only name I knew was Pele, and that was because he played for the N.J. Cosmos soccer team at the same time that I worked at the N.J. Meadowlands Arena, just before I got fired for setting the concession stand on fire... but that's another story.

Welcome to Ghana football. The Ghana Black Stars are Ghana's football team. And yesterday was the opening game of the African Cup of Nations, which Ghana is proudly hosting. In our brand new Ohene Djan Sports stadium in Accra, the Ghana Black Stars took on the Syli Nationals of Guinea. And with a last minute (really, absolutely last minute) goal by Sulley Muntari, won the opening game with a score of 2 to 1.

Sean, Sly and I sat watching the game on TV in the comfort of our living room, though Sean would gladly have given his left __________ [fill in the blank] to be at the game personally. He and Sly discussed the plays, the players, the coach, the defense, the offense, the stadium, the pitch (which means the field, I found out), the ball, the weather, you name it, it got discussed. I cannot believe how much Sean knows about football and the players and the teams they play for and what have you. I was astounded.

But anyway, for most of the game, I found it fairly boring. The whole first half, Ghana attempted to score and missed a number of times, thanks to a great Guinea goal keeper. Finally, Ghana scored, and the whole stadium went wild. And not only the whole stadium, but the whole country! There was yelling and cheering and car honking that went on and on for about 10 minutes after the first goal. It stopped only when Guinea scored the equalizer.

Then, only moments after Sly and Sean harangued Sulley Muntari in absentia, bemoaning his lethargy and commenting on the coach's lack of vision that he'd leave that tired old player in the game that long, that finally, Sulley blasted his trademark "rocket" shot and scored the winning goal. The noise that erupted from the stadium, from the neighborhood and from this house, was nothing short of a cacophony of ear-splitting sound.

It may sound weird, but it brought goosebumps to my arms and tears to my eyes. Not that I'm such a big fan of soccer, but how could you not love a country that loves it national team so much. I'm not used to that. When the Yankees won the World Series, the excitement and thrill was no where near as all encompassing as Ghana was last night. Maybe cause our next door neighbors were Met fans, and the guy next to them was a displaced Red Sox fanatic. I mean, even if you didn't own a television or have a radio handy, you would absolutely know exactly what was happening in the game, the collective cheering or booing or even sighing was impossible not to hear.

The jubilation was nothing short of awe inspiring. And that was only the first game. If Ghana makes it all the way through to the finals, I'll be investing in a sweater, a box of tissues and ear plugs.

To watch last night's highlights, follow this link http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/SportsArchive/artikel.php?ID=137920

Oh, and if you're interested in watching the other games, you might want to try this link http://tv.africanpath.com/









7 comments:

  1. Thanks Barb for the links. I owe you a response your email and I promise it will be forthcoming soon. Met and Red Sox neighbors eh? At least they were committed to something. I don't even know what my neighbors are committed to.

    Kwasi Appiah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ayekoo!!!! Ghana! Ayekoo! I too would give an arm and a leg to be in Ghana right now......I watched the tail end of the opening ceremony from 7000 miles away in Philadelphia and cried! I was so proud! Go Black Stars GO!!!!!!!

    unfortunately we have to watch the matches online in the U.S. because no broadcaster is carrying it :( Infuriating to say the least!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. kenyanghanaian, I feel your pain. If only we could switch places for a few weeks, then you could watch the Black Stars win the Cup, and I could watch the NJ Giants beat the Patriots in the SuperBowl!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. God I wish I was there! Ted said he didn't have to leave the office (he's working seven days now!) to know the score, he could hear them in the street from three stories up, with air conditioners running.

    I promise to cheer the Giants on enough for both of us- tell Sean to cheer for me, too!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bard,
    I really enjoyed reading through your site.
    I am contacting you as your site was recommended for entry on The Expat Directory. I am pleased to inform you that your site has been added here: http://community.theexpatdirectory.com/Ghana.htm

    We would be grateful if you could add a link back to us to let other expats have visability and access to our resources.
    If you wish to add a link or image, please contact us and we can provide you with the necessary information.

    I hope you keep up the articles, your emotion and opinion is very refreshing, I am sure that our users will enjoy reading throough your site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a delightful blog! Thank you for taking the time to share your observations on life in Accra.

    I am planning to move to Accra, Ghana for a year and I will arrive in two months. One problem - I have no place to live yet. Would you mind recommending a few ethical real estate brokers in Accra who will NOT add the "obruni-markup" to all of the rental rates when providing listings?

    I was told that a home can be rented for $300-$400/month in Accra but on the internet, there are rentals advertised for $80/day and $250/week (which is very economical by American standards but is still VERY overpriced for the local real estate market).

    Thanks so much.

    ACCRA, HERE I COME!!

    My email address is:
    evangelist@ourchurch.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, please check out my adinkra symbol tees at www.cafepress.com/kndredgear or www.kindredgear.com part of the proceeds will go to african charities.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete