Saturday, March 8, 2008

School Daze - Update!


BEFORE


After 15,120,000 seconds from September 11, 2007, I am happy - no, scratch that - thrilled - no, scratch that one, too - utterly ecstatic to report that ALEXANDRA is FINALLY going to REAL SCHOOL!!!

No more home-schooling (which, I sucked at), no more jealous and whiny retorts from the boys (I can't believe you let Alex [watch TV, take a nap, buy ice cream... you name it, they whined about it]), no more funny looks from the shop-keepers ("that kid should be in school!!"). No more. Thank God.

And you know, I think it was all by "accident." On Friday, February 29th (what a great day, ain't it?), Sly got "flashed" by the SOS Head Master. I actually think it was a wrong number, and that he never meant to dial Sly. But Sly naturally took advantage and called back. After a few minutes of chit-chat, Sly got down to the nitty-gritty. "Any openings in Class 2 yet?" I watched Sly's face slowly break into a big grin. Thumbs up! It looks good; not definite, but not an outright turn down. We should call on Monday morning.

Fast forward to Monday 8:00. Sly calls. Jeez, the Head Master (or "Headie" and the JSS kids call him, so Sean reports) is out of the school till 10:00; can we call back? Duh. At 10:03 (Sly doesn't want to appear too anxious), he calls again. YES!! SHE'S IN!! "Headie" suggests we come in tomorrow (Tuesday) to pick up the forms and stuff, and then Alex can start next week (freaking mid-term break). Well, nertz to that. She's starting TOMORROW! We're out of the house like a shot, straight to the school, Alex in tow (naturally) and wondering what the hell is going on. We're going to your new school, we explain. When we pull into the SOS lot, she can hardly contain herself.

Inside the administration building, we sit and wait for the secretary to give us our forms. Alex is nearly beside herself. She keeps clutching my arm, "Really? Really, Mommy? I'm going to go to school here?" She double checks with Sly, in case I'm pulling her leg. Sly does not kid.

Next day, first day of school, off we go. Alex is a little nervous, now that the day is here. But she's a trouper. We have one last thing to do, and that is to pay the tuition bill. "Headie" comes out of his office to sit beside Alex. He tells us to leave her there, and the teacher will come collect her. Now it dawns on her. This is it. Mommy is not staying; Mommy is going. Uh oh. She forgot what it's like. Tears well up in her eyes. I'm gonna have to go soon, before I make a fool of myself.

Once back home, Sly and I take advantage of the peace and quiet (Wink! Wink!), now that Alexandra is where she belongs, with her brothers and among her peers. Growing.




AFTER

17 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!I am so happy for u and Alexandra!
    Your kids are sooooo cute!

    Nana Yaa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barbara
    I really hope you won't mind me asking you a question here. i've read your blog (which is great!) and also many of your trip advisor advises & i've a qestion you might be able to help with. I'm coming to accra for the month of april with my husband(who is from accra, but we live in london). We're doing some travelling and as we've never been up to Volta we wanted to go there this time. i've read your recommendation of the Akosombo continental hotel & are planning on staying there a couple of nights. I'd like to book ahead but the links i've found for their website are not working, nor is the email address in my ghana guide book. Do you know if they are still in business, and if so, do you have a working email address for them? Also, I've also seen you recommending the Afrikiko hotel - are they fairly near each other, and which one do you prefer?
    many many thanks in advance!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah,

    We just went to Akosombo Continental last weekend, so they're definitely still in business. You usually don't have to book in advance... heck, we've gone there the day of and they have rooms. Once you get to Ghana, that should be soon enough to call and book.

    Afrikiko is about another 7 minutes past Continental on the same road, and they're both really nice. Kids seem to prefer Continental, cause it's got a little zoo (monkeys, crocodiles, snake, birds), and a smallish swing set; they also have boat rentals, including pedal boats.

    Afrikiko is nicer for it's ambiance; it's also newer, and the amenities are fresher. They've got plenty of rooms, I think 8 chalets that face the river (beautiful, by the way and about $65 a night), and 10 courtyard rooms, and maybe another 20 pool side.

    They also have a boat ride (and are closer to the Akosombo Dam).

    Hope this helps.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you so much!! i think i'm going to check out the Afrikiko place, sounds lovely from your description!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Don't we all leave for Mondays. I so enjoy your blog.

    Tracy-ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute! I do admit, i love her hair wild in the first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - I hope all turned out with the school. When you have children, all you want is for them to be happy and to enjoy life. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi! My daughter is at University of Ghana & I really enjoyed all of your posts. She was horribly homesick when she first arrived in February from Washington state. I'm wondering - we sent a package through the post office almost 8 weeks ago. She has never received it. Do you hear of packages being stolen by the post office there? This was American bug spray, netting, hair conditioner - possibly things someone might have wanted. How do you get mail? Thank you!! Washington mom

    ReplyDelete
  9. Washington Mom,

    Packages are sent to a central location and must be picked up from there, so that a custom's officer can review it for duty. My family used to send priority mail, and it can be tracked on this end, so if you sent it that way, give your daughter the number and she can visit the parcels office at Accra Central.

    We found, though, that sending the mail through EMS (which is international express mail) worked better, it was here within a few days (my family is in NJ), and we were alerted by phone call, rather than a note in the mail box.

    Theft is common, unfortunately. Sorry it happened to you and your daughter.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great to read about life in Ghana I would like some more inside information if possible.
    My email is cubic22@gmail.com
    Ill be a bit more specific then :)

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Barb,

    Thanks for sharing your experiences and insight. I would like to speak more about the realities of relocation. My email is etanah@hotmail.com. Thanks again. Hope to hear from you soon. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Barb,

    I have a woman friend here in Austin who is flying to Accra next week to meet a man she met over the internet - obviously, I'm a bit concerned for her, hopeful that she has a good experience, worried for her safety and financial health. She's actually planning on staying a whole month. Any suggestions for resources for her if she gets there and finds herself suddenly over her head? E-mail me at balconesfault@hotmail.com, if you could!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Barb,
    I have enjoyed reading your blog!! So far I have been in Accra for two weeks volunteering at a medical clinic. I am a physician from NYC. I have some concerns about my safety and was wondering if you had any suggestions for an obroni woman here alone. would you recommend this and have you heard of any problems. My husband is very concerned.
    Also, I would love to meet other travelers here to do some exploring on the weekends. perhaps you know of a resource to go about this prudently.
    thanks for any suggestions.
    isabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Isabel,

    It's perfectly fine for an obroni woman to travel alone within Accra, provided you exercise the same caution you would when visiting any big city. Stay away from the troubled areas, such as Nima and Jamestown, unless you're there with a local. For the most part, Ghanaians are always happy to see an obroni (no doubt you've been hailed several times), and the worst is being hassled for money (since they all assume we're rich).

    Sorry for the delay in response. My daughter was on admission to Korle Bu children's hospital (diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes), and we just got home yesterday.

    Tell your hubby not to worry too much, but to miss you a lot.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  15. So is this blog dead? that would be unfortunate

    ReplyDelete
  16. Would you know where you can buy good bug spray in Ghana. The bug spray we sent has 30% deet but my sister keeps getting bit every night. I am concerned and don't know if we should send her bug spray via express mail (seems expensive) or is there a place in Kumasi or Accra where we can tell her to go. It seems like an emergency cause she is getting sick, headaches, and she is taking the malaria pills. So we don't know what to do. Please advise.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry about your sister... some people just seem to be more susceptible to malarial mosquitoes. Your sister might want to try some of the shops at Accra Mall -- ShopRite, Game or the MedHealth(?) drug store. I'm fairly certain I've seen Off! in one of them, though not sure how effective it will be over here. Our mosquitoes are tough.

    She also might want to consider a "local" repellent if those don't work; there's a salve made from the Neem tree that's popular.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete