Saturday, October 11, 2008

Friday at Accra Central. Organized chaos.

Ghana has not been immune from the worldwide economic troubles. Yesterday, I paid nearly $1.50 for a beer at an Accra Central chop bar. Can you imagine? I remember when a Star beer was 60 cents. Okay, so it’s a big beer, twice as big as a Heinie, but still, that’s a lot of money in this economy.

Accra Central on a Friday is an amazing place -- crowded, colorful, noisy, smelly, even a bit dangerous. But only for a couple of obronis. Yesterday, a new found obroni friend and I ventured to the big city to do some shopping. Leslie is a high school math teacher (they call it maths teacher here) who is here in Ghana for a year on a Fulbright teacher exchange program. She is teaching at Tema Secondary School, just a hop skip and a jump from where we live, and also my husband’s alma mater.

I picked her up at the school and ventured to Accra the long way around, meaning the Beach Road between Tema and Accra. When you want to move at a fast clip, you have no choice but to take the Tema Motorway. Unless there’s an accident, and there have been significantly less accidents since they removed the cattle bridge a few months ago, the Motorway zips along at speeds of 70 and upwards. Some Ghanaians consider it their own personal Autobahn and rocket past at 100 mph. Fools, all… you never know when a cow is going to cross the road.

But, I digress (as usual). Leslie loved the fact that we were taking the scenic route. She got to see the ocean finally (she knew it was somewhere close by, but had no idea how close – a mere 5 minutes away!). As we approached Nungua, I told her about Evelyn, my “potato lady” who owns a tiny produce stand across from the Regional Maritime Academy. When we lived in Nungua, we stopped there a lot for fresh produce, namely potatoes, because we knew that from her they wouldn’t be soft or rotted. Now that we live in Tema near the motorway we don’t often come around, but when we do, we either stop and buy something, or beep the horn when passing. It’s funny, without fail, as soon as she hears the distinctive sound of our Nissan Quest’s horn, she spins around or looks up from whatever she was doing and grinning, from ear to ear, waves wildly with both hands. Sure enough, she was there yesterday, and grinning and waving to beat the band. I love that lady.

So, off through Nungua we traveled. It was really neat driving with Leslie. It’s like looking at Christmas through a kid’s eyes. Leslie was “Ooh, look at that” or “Oh, what’s that place?” It was kind of fun to play the tour guide, pointing out the place with the fantasy coffins and watching the vendors go by carrying all sorts of things on their heads.

After about an hour in traffic, we arrived at the parking lot near High Street. No matter if they’re packed, when the guy sees our Nissan he knows it’s us and always squeezes us in. Somewhere. It was the same yesterday. He directed me to this tiny spot and I edged my way in. He asked me where “daddy” was. I told him that “daddy” was home and I was free for the day with some money in my pocket. Oops! Must remember to zipper my mouth, next time. Before I could even take two steps away from the car, he tells me that he will be traveling for a funeral that afternoon, and hoped I could help him with “transportation.” Soft touch that I am (and also to safeguard my car!), I offered up 2 cedis. That’s about $2, and more than he probably makes in a day.

You’ve likely read about my shopping experience at Melcom, so I won’t go back into it. Except to say that I still cannot understand WHY THEY CANNOT RESTOCK THE STORE AT NIGHT??!! Every aisle is crowded with shoppers and an equal number of clerks who are bent over boxes and stocking shelves. You can hardly move. After about 15 minutes of madness, we gave up and left, without a single purchase there.

From there we went to Methodist Book Store for Leslie to find some books for the students she tutors. I picked up a couple of used books for the kids, but nothing for me. Paperbacks not written in this or the previous decade are of no interest to me, nor do I find it scintillating to read books with big-bosomed raven-haired vixens.

We walked across the street into Rawlings Park, which has turned into a giant flea market and decided to stop for some refreshment. Beer, Coke, sausage on a stick and beef kebabs. Total price GHC 5.90. Total rip-off. But such is the economy here. Everything has gone up in prices.

We had good seats at the restaurant, right in the firing line. Every single hawker with a bowl on his or her head had something to offer the two obronis. Batik and wax print shirts, only GHC 5 – perfect if we weighed about 250 lbs each, but anyone with a Body Mass Index of less than 25 would be lost in these shirts (I’ve a BMI of about 20, and Leslie probably even less). Oh, BTW, this site calculates your BMI for you and it’s pretty simple. No maths teacher needed.

We also had a couple of bead vendors pass by – one person was selling bootlegged 8-in-1 and 9-in-1 videos with Chinese subtitles, another sold kitschy wooden signs that said something like Jesus Loves Ghana, and a very large woman with a huge bowl of kitchen sponges on her head. Everyone else got a dabi (no), but we stopped the sponge lady. I really needed a new kitchen sponge. Naturally, the obroni price was GHC 3 for 5 sponges, but the obroni counter-offer was GHC 2, which was still probably more than they would have cost an obibini (black person). Oh well.

From there I found a guy selling football kit out of his station wagon. Well, Sean as you may know is a football freak. Not the U.S. kind, but the European/U.K. kind with actually kicking of the ball at all times. Sean loves Chelsea (the team, not Clinton), but loves individual players and I asked if they had Rosicky. I was informed it was Rosisky. Anyway, he plays for Arsenal and he’s #7. They had a brand new shirt and shorts set for GHC 20. Now, that’s not really a bad price. It’s running way higher than that on eBay and I wouldn’t have to ship it. But, since I knew I was getting the obroni price, I countered with GHC 15 and we agreed at GHC 17. Not too terrible. And, guess what, it is NOT Rosisky… I was right, so there!

Leslie was anxious to take some pictures of the market, but Ghanaians don’t usually like for people to do that, so she just bought something and then took the vendor’s picture. That worked out fine. One guy, who was carrying a string of dead rats and mice was willing to take a little gratuity in exchange for the picture… guess Leslie didn’t need a dead rat. Just kidding. He was selling rat poison. But it was pretty funny, in a gruesome kind of way.

After the rat guy, it was getting too hot and too crowded, so we made our way back to the car, battled the Friday funeral traffic, and within an hour we were back to our little hamlet. We arrived home dirty, tired, sweaty, smelly (at least, I was), slightly sunburned and with a blazing headache (again, me). Tema, home sweet home.

11 comments:

  1. Hello. Thanks for the very entertaining and informative blog. I am Ghanaian born and living in the USA (NJ) for the past 22 years. I am looking to relocate back to Ghana next year and have been looking at schools for our 2 kids (11,7). We will be living near Tema (off the Akosombo road) and I was wondering what I could learn from you regarding schools in the Tema area. I have been looking at the Tema International School for my son. What do know of that school? Are there any schools in the Tema area that might work for my daughter? We know this will be a big transition for them and we are looking for schools that strive for excellence and look to bring the best out of the children in the school. Thanks in advance for any input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dennis,

    Tema International School is a high school located right on the Akosombo Road. We visited the campus at one point when looking at schools, and it's big, neat and very clean. It's only a high school, though.

    Our kids go to SOS School in Tema, which is probably the best elementary school in Tema. Difficult to get into, it's got a long waiting list, so if you're interested, you might want to get on it asap. Our kids are 13, 10 and 8 and they go to primary and JSS. The SOS High School is called an international college, and my eldest son would go be going in in September 2010, provided we can afford the tuition. It's currently $4,000 a term (2 terms) boarding only. Seems a shame, because we live 7 minutes from the school and there's no need for boarding, but they don't have day students.

    Tema Parents School is also near SOS, and it is also a very good school.

    There are a couple of new international schools that I recently saw signs for, but don't know much about them.

    Hope that helps. Feel free to email me at barbslyz at yahoo dot com if you've got other questions.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello there!!

    This was really funny!

    The rat guy? OMG...ewwwwwwww! It never ceases to amaze me that Westerners tend to be a little more disease-conscious (and less "gross-proof") than our non-Western friends! *LOL*

    I will be in Accra by November 30th! What a smashing time I'll have at Makola Market!!

    (smiles)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello "Paul,"

    I am certain you will find it enriching! Friday's are the busiest day for the market; it's also the worst traffic day, so if possible come in by trotro or get there early. There is no such thing as too early at Makola!

    Safe trip.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello
    My name is Bradley, I live in California, and I love your blog. When I was 16 I was an exchange student for one year in Berekum, Brong Ahafo. Your story reminded me so much of the days when another student and I would ditch school and take a tro-tro all the way to kumasi and roam around their market. Although my host mom (Ghanaian) would be pretty upset.
    Ahhh.... the good 'ol days.
    Anyways keep up the good work, I never miss your blog.
    Bradley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello!

    My husband and 3-month-old daughter and I have just moved to Accra. His work is to install water purification systems, and I am taking care of our little girl. I was hoping to connect with other expats here in Accra, especially with those who also have children. If you are interested in connecting, please email me at guenizinser@yahoo.com.

    I am enjoying your blog very much!

    Thanks!
    Guenevier

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, I really miss Ghana when I read this. Makola is SO stressful, but also so funny. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barb

    Great post! It is exactly the makola I know and love. From time to time my friend and I make a Saturday morning trip to Makola for buying of random things - you never know what bizarre or obscure thing you might find for sale! We also love the energy and the insane movement and noise of the market.

    Inevitably we get back home sweaty, hot, tired and with pounding headaches!!!

    I wrote a post not long ago about the good old days when I first got to Ghana and how we were lef through Makola... http://hollisramblings.blogspot.com/2008/08/cosmopolitan-ghana-accra-of-today.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post!!

    Reminds me of Kenya, where my wife & I spent 5 years.

    "Obroni" in Swahili is "wazungu".

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had to hear from someone in DC that I made it onto another blog! HA! Just for that I'm going to write about you on mine...perhaps the shared handkerchief with Mike.... :)

    ReplyDelete