Friday, April 13, 2012

So Who's Complaining?


I know this will come as a shock but in the worst way ever I want to complain. But I made a promise to my husband that I would not say anything bad about things here in you-know-where because this is an election year and goodness knows anything can happen. Wouldn’t want to be deported back to the good ol’ US of A now, would I? And I know that immigration knows where I live because they came by to see us earlier this week, checking our passports and such… but they were looking for some Sri Lankans and were misdirected, so I am off the hook, for now at least.

I won’t complain.

Instead, I will tell you how much I enjoyed not having internet access over the past 9 days. I’m not sure why that has been; of course the funny people – “ambassadors” they call themselves – at the broadband office have been trying to put my mind at ease by ensuring that something is being done to improve service in the long run. And they insist that someone will come to see me today since I have been ever so patient. And by golly if those nice ambassadors say it is so then it must be true and that is good enough for me! And they are so very nice and sweet and apologetic that it makes me all oooggly inside – so much so that my 6:00 am phone calls to the ambassadors are the highlight of my day.

Who could ask for a better start to the day, right?

Because despite the absence of the internet, I will recall with fondness the several books I bought, downloaded and read this past week (Hunger Games trilogy – I have got to see the movie and the Princess Diary) as I try to conserve the units on my mobile modem – and thank goodness I had the foresight to buy one! Who knew I’d have to use it in my own house?  But that’s neither here nor there.

Those things happen.

Remember how I used to complain about the electric company and the frequent power outages. I always said that while they bothered me a little bit it was the not knowing when they would occur that bothered me the most.

Well, someone must have heard my pleas, and I am so grateful.

Yesterday, the local paper printed a schedule of power outages. We’re scheduled for tonight at 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm. Isn’t that wonderful? And we have another for the same time frame on Tuesday and then again on Thursday. In fact, over the next 17 days, we in Group A1 will be doing our part to save electricity six more times! I am so proud. No one else among the seven identified groups is doing so much; group B1 gets to do their part five times, and D and E four each. Meanwhile, poor Groups A, B and C only have three opportunities to provide a valuable service to the government.

I can’t even begin to express my joy.

Because of that beautiful schedule, I have my phone charging, and my Kindle, and my tablet so that we can have something to do while sitting in the dark in the heat… alas it will be a little too hot to sleep. And I have ice blocks freezing to keep Alex’s insulin cold (so thankful for that advance notice, you cannot believe!). I have bought candles and batteries and will plan to make dinner well ahead even though eating by candlelight is the most incredible feeling. Oh, our 4-hour adventure will be so much fun! I can’t wait!

We are so lucky!

And yet, believe me when I say that I have not forgotten that I am saying all of this as an individual spoiled by comforts unavailable to the majority of locals.

Indeed, we are so lucky.










3 comments:

  1. I was there in spring 1998, during the drought. There was more time without electricity than with, the real issue turned into a total loss of water pressure. At the beginning, it was unpredictable. Later, the schedule did help- we knew if we had any shot of catching X-Files on Friday night or not. :) But in 1998, computers were large and stayed on desks, no portable phones or kindles, so the state of the fridge and the inability to flush the toilet were the concerns. I wish you luck keeping the insulin cold, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not easy. Lived with no electricity and running water in Ho in 6th form.

    Lived with no running water in Akbelenkpe for two solid years in 1976 side.

    In Juaso had no electricity for too many years to count.

    No easy at all - empathy. Brenya

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome they let you know now, hopefully that will continue when I and my ghanaian hubby and kid move there in July :))
    P.s. those huger games books are soo addicting, I wish it was more than 3 books.

    ReplyDelete