Friday, December 5, 2008

A bit of home

Yesterday, I picked up my American friend, Leslie, and we took off to the environs of Accra for the day. As a Fulbright exchange teacher, Leslie is a quasi-employee of the U.S. government, so she heads out to the U.S. Embassy located in Accra a few times a month to take care of business.


Despite the fact that I and my family have been living here for almost five years now, I’ve never been to the new U.S. Embassy, so I looked at it as an opportunity to check things out. The “old” U.S. Embassy was in a small, crowded dirty building, not easily accessible and certainly, in my opinion, not worth of an embassy, irrespective of which embassy it might be. The fact that it was my embassy only made it that much more disreputable.


First stop before the embassy though, was a detour to Bake Shop Classics, a bakery near the Ghana Trade Fair. Now, I’d never been there before, but I had “heard” that they made and sold “New York Style Bagels.” I haven’t had a bagel, New York, New Jersey or Maryland-style, in almost two years, and I have been dreaming of them. I can stop dreaming, I think. We went in and though they only had a small selection (by U.S. standards, of course) of baked goods, they did have bagels and cinnamon rolls and cheese and fruit danishes. Oh, joy. I have no idea how they will taste, but they sure look good. I buy eight bagels at 60 pesawas each and a cinnamon roll for GHC 1.50.


The morning after my purchase, I can truthfully say, not as good as a New York bagel, but pretty darn close. Add in some cream cheese – no, not Philadelphia but again, close – and it’s a taste of home. I’m wishing now that I had bought more than just eight bagels, since half are gone already. I may have to make a special trip, next week.



From there, we went straight to the Embassy. The Embassy compound is large, with a neatly manicured green grass lawn -- truly a rarity in Ghana. Two security guards stand in front but don’t try to stop us from entering into the visitor’s lounge. Once inside, Leslie puts her bag onto the x-ray machine conveyer belt which scans the contents; no one pays any attention, so no one notices that she carries two phones – mine and hers. I have to fill out a form and show my passport; it doesn’t even get cracked open. Could be my whiteness, my Jersey accent or my “Hi, how ya doing?” is the tip off that I’m an American. Or it could be my entrance with an employee, quasi or otherwise. Perhaps I’m being paranoid, but I actually wish they had looked at my passport a bit more thoroughly; security was just a bit too lax for me.


With a visitor badge strung around my neck and my handbag scanned (minus my cell phone, of course), we’re off to the main building, which belongs to U.S. AID. It’s like being back in any American government office building – open, airy, granite walls, heavy duty air conditioning, and the ubiquitous pictures of G.W., Dick and Condee. Leslie and I joke about how we can’t wait to come back after January 20th and see Barack, Joe and Hillary up there instead. That alone will be worth the trip.


First things first, I have got to check out the Embassy bathroom. It’s just like back home. Doors that lock, toilets that automatically flush, and toilet paper on a roller – wish I had more to do in here, but my breakfast coffee is long gone.


Leslie conducts her business and shows me around a bit. We head to the Community Liaison Office or CLO for short. Inside are some pamphlets and brochures for local tourist sites and hotels. Nothing special, but what is special is a great big wall of books, all kinds of paperbacks and novels; adult books, kids books, every genre you can imagine. We meet a woman there who is the CLO liaison, Kristen from Annandale, VA. She says the books are loaners, “borrow what you want and return them when you can.” Oh, the honor system. I’m familiar with the concept, of course, but the truth is in Ghana it’s hardly ever put into practice. Finders keepers, is more what we’re used to here. Still, it looks promising.


Kristen tells us that they often have community programs and events, but this is the first I’m hearing of it. I’m kind of ticked off about it, if you want the truth. I’m part of the community, I live here and the Embassy knows I live here, since we’re registered. So, why can’t they send me a newsletter telling me about these events? I’d love for us to get out and meet other Americans. Leslie promises to send me the newsletter that she gets from them, as an employee. It shouldn’t really be this hard, should it? The Embassy does more for American tourists than Americans living here. Weird, huh?


The cafeteria is our next stop. And they’ve got specials, just like home – hamburger or hot dogs with fries, pizza, grilled cheese sandwich – I’m tempted, I’ve got to admit, but I make these things at home, I’d want something really different. What I’m really jazzed about is the cold case – there’s Fresca, Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr. Pepper. The doctor is calling my name. Um, not quite as good as I remember. Next time, I’ll try the Fresca.


Yeah, a Fresca, with a bagel and cream cheese, and it will be like home. If only it were that easy.

8 comments:

  1. Interesting that you had not heard of Bake Shop Classics. It is very, very popular - especially for birthday cakes. Plus they do make bagels - and - cheese cake (though this does have to be ordered in advance, I think).

    Re the US Embassy newsletter: there used to be something called Okyeame, which was freely distributed to anyone who registered their email address. It was pretty good, and had a lot of information on Ghana, and what was going on, as well other slightly more specific stuff related to the Embassy. But after a short spell on the Embassy website, it seems to be now more restricted to those who are officially part of the Embassy community, which is rather a shame, in my opinion. It also makes that community a bit more restricted - again IMHO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to be freaky or anything, but I'm cracking up! I'm an American who has lived in Ghana and is engaged to a Ghanaian and I miss Ghana...a LOT! So I search for blogs of people living there every now and then to live vicariously or just read about familiar things. I like your btw. Funny thing is, Leslie is a friend of mine and you told a story she hasn't shared yet! Just thought it was cute this whole 6 degrees of separation thing. Don't worry, I'm not a creeper. :)
    -Bethany

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Barb! Glad that you finally made it to Bake Shop Classics. We had a birthday cake for my birthday (8 December) and I thought of you and your bagel quest. Hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In regard to your statement "...I’m kind of ticked off about it...I’m part of the community, I live here and the Embassy knows I live here, since we’re registered. So, why can’t they send me a newsletter telling me about these events?" Don't worry it seems to be a reoccurring theme to some US Embassy’s, well at least I can only speak of the one in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. When I was based out there, I registered and received the official newsletter, not restricted to Embassy employees. When it came to matters pertaining to Americans living in Addis Ababa, those who were registered didn’t always receive the news, case in point, I would receive notices, but my roommate would not, so I would have to tell her…strange system, so don’t feel bad.

    The simple things in life matter, so I totally understand the cravings for a bagel…which leads me to ask, did shops in Addis have bagels? lolol…don’t recall, guess I didn’t miss it too much.

    P.S. sorry for the long comment ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You definitely got through security because of who you were with. My husband and I spent over a month in Accra (for an adoption), and had to fight our way through the front door every time we went. Most times, we weren't even let in the front door. Yes ... we are both American citizens, but they would not let us into the American embassy. It was REALLY bad. On days we did get through, our passports were checked thoroughly, as were our purses, kids' backpacks, etc... We were made to feel like criminals. And ... once inside, we could wait, literally, for hours (with our 3 new children) and then be sent home without any answers to our questions. It was NOT fun!

    Laurel
    mama of 13

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara -

    Need some quick advice from someone living in Ghana.

    We are traveling to bring our just-adopted daughter home from Ghana in 10 days and are trying to decide whether or not to bring our infant carseat. I know they are probably not used by locals very much, but I'm sure our 5-month old will be safer in one as we drive around Accra for Embassy visits, etc.

    If they are available in Ghana, then we could possibly rent or borrow one there. For some reason, I think this is unlikely (or at least will be hard to find).

    What do you think?

    Thank you for taking the time to give me your "insider's" opinion!! You can email me at kerrysblogs@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Barbara, Thanks for the bagel tip! Will definitely go there. Also want to invite you to the next ghanabloggers' meeting on the evening of 16th of February. Please email me if you'd like to come and meet some fellow bloggers! kajsahallberg@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete