Thursday, June 11, 2009

Pampering, Ghana style

Every woman needs and deserves a bit of pampering now and again. Despite appearances to the contrary, I’m no exception. It has been ages since I’ve had a decent haircut (I’ve grumbled about that before), but I self-mutilate my hair whenever it needs it – kind of a band-aid approach – and that’s good enough. But I just adore getting my nails done because I just cannot do it myself; I’d be better off allowing Alex to do it for me. I almost never do my fingers, though, they’re far too busy with typing and cooking and a billion other things to be fixed up prettily cause I’ll be too anxious about spoiling them. But my tootsies deserve a soothing once in a while.

Yesterday was the once in a while. I had already decided earlier in the week that I wanted to do this, but kind of hemmed and hawed about money and time for a few days. Then the inefficiencies of Ghana Water Company and Ghana Electric Company conspired to drive me out of the house, so off to Yakels I went.

Yakels is a local beauty salon located in community 11. For a long time, I’d pass by it on my way to the butcher shop and really wanted to check it out. But I have to admit, I was kind of anxious about going in. It’s a great big white building, with blue tinted windows so that you couldn’t see in. The parking lot never had a car in it either, so that kind of made me a bit nervous. Why was it never busy? Was it expensive? Was it crap? I had to find out. The experience was, um, different.

Inside, everything is white, glass and chrome, with scattered bowls of sea shells and candles floating in water. Very pretty. Very American. They’ve even got the beauty salon de rigueur magazines on the table. You know the kind, the ones with the oddly shaped and geometrically-styled haircuts that no self-respecting middle-aged white woman would be caught dead in. In truth, even if I had wanted one of those haircuts, I couldn’t have gotten one there. They still can’t cut obroni hair.

So Belinda takes me back for a pedicure. I was hoping I wouldn’t be sitting in a plastic chair soaking my feet in a plastic basin, and my wishes were answered. It looks just like one of the pedicure chairs you’d find in the U.S. and that’s very comforting. Unlike in the states, though, the controls for the chair are in the hands of the staff. Now, I like to play with the remote, and see what the chair offers – you know, massage or heat. I’m thinking this remote has only up and down and back and forwards. Then Belinda asks if I want the massage feature. “Why not,” I say, I love those magic finger massage things. YIKES!!! It’s like someone stomping a half a dozen bocce balls into my spine! I’m practically jumping out of the seat. Fortunately, Belinda sees my discomfort (how could she not, I was practically jumping into her lap) and turns it off. Who the hell was this chair made for? Put this contraption in a chiropractor’s waiting room and he’s gonna make a fortune!

After I realign my back, I settle in and put my toes on the towel. I’m not really conversant with pedicure procedure, because she’s got to keep telling me what to do. “Please, put your foot in the water” or “put your foot here,” or “bend your ankle” or “your other foot now.” I’m pathetically clueless.

First order of the day is to file down my nails. I have to admit, I let them get kind of long. Instead of clipping them regularly I figure I’m eventually going to get a pedicure and I really want to get my money’s worth. As a result, they’re kind of lunatic long by the time I’m in the chair. This, by the way, is not scary to Belinda. A lot of Ghanaian woman have amazingly long toe nails. Freaky looking toe nails, if you want my opinion.

So she pulls out the nail file and starts filing. There’s no clipping here; if that’s what you want, you have to ask for it. Naturally, the filing doesn’t really shorten my nails, but at least they’re not lunatic long anymore. Once filed down, she gestures for me to put both feet into the basin which has got some of the hottest water you’ve ever felt and she squirts in some Palmolive soap to make it all bubbly. And I’m thinking (guiltily) that Alex would love this. Five minutes of soaking and she has me hoist one slippery foot up.

Then, the torture really begins. Holding firmly to my foot, she grabs a butter knife (you will never hold a butter knife in your hand ever again and think only of food) and starts to scrape the soles and sides of my feet. My tootsies are tender, and this to me is nothing short of an assault. But apparently, its how Ghanaian beauticians are taught to scrape off dead skin. You’re thinking “Ouch and yuchh” (in that order), right? “Have they no pumice?” you wonder. Yes! They have pumice and lava rocks and lotions that slough off dead skin, but apparently there’s a whole gauntlet of torture tactics that has to be run through, and this is just the first weapon.

I’ll spare you the rest of the gory details, suffice to say, it hurt. I’m sure an electric sander would have hurt less.

But then she moved into the next phase and that earlier pain was forgotten for this new pain. This was the torture tactic popularly known as cuticle cutting! Fortunately, she only cut me twice, once on each foot and they did stop bleeding before I left. The pain almost entirely went away, except when she whipped out the nail polish remover to take off the too-thick polish she attempted to put on me.

Finally, the time had arrived for putting on the polish. I had chosen a pretty bright orange, but then I also liked this lighter apricot polish with sparkles in it. I had a bright idea that the apricot could go over the orange polish, like pretty layers.

Only it didn’t work out like that. Belinda was more than willing to try it out, putting the first coat on. Only she discovered the polish was too thick and had to remove it, hence the repeat pain of the cut cuticle. But she came back with a thinned out version and went ahead and painted it the way I asked.

I hated it. It looked horrible; especially when she “cleaned” up the edges. It looked like all of my toe nails were bleeding, because you could only see the orange along the edges. Of course, me being the non-trouble-maker that I am, I told her it was “great.” Then I went home and took the nail polish off. All that fun for only 15 Ghana cedis.

I realize that getting a pedicure is kind of like having children. You don't remember anything about the pain when you see the beautiful result.

This was one ugly baby. I think I’ll let Alex have a go at it. It certainly can’t be any worse.

11 comments:

  1. Barb! After your description of the torture (which I know so well - but yet still go back for!) - how could you suggest sending your little girl to the wolves?!

    Just kidding, but you might want to tell them to skip the knife and cuticle cutting on her... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb.

    This is really random but I just heard some information that I thought I's share with you.

    I work at a children's hospital and I just over heard a doctor say that one thing that can cause a diabetic child to have low blood sugar is taking a hot shower right after taking an insulin shot.

    Im sure you probably already know this but I thought I'd share anyway. I certainly never knew this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor You and Your tootsies!
    Try Allure Day Spa in Accra, it´s heven! Really clean and professional.

    Greetins from Helsinki
    Outi Arantila
    PS. I am going to be in Accra from august to october...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holly and Anonymous #2, next time I'll know better -- wish Allure was here in Tema. Can't beat the convenience of a 5 minute drive.

    I may treat Alex to just have the tootsies polished one of these days. As Anonymous #1 pointed out, hot water does affect how quickly insulin is absorbed, and that's why diabetics in general are discouraged from using hot tubs and jacuzzis. Not to worry, though. When and if we have water, we keep the temperature low.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barb

    I was also going to suggest Allure in Accra. Its supposedly all the rave. Also theres a great 'source' website with loads of inforamtion about various businesses in Ghana (including hair salons) www.everthingghana.com. Hope it helps.

    P.S. I love your bloggs. I've been reading it for about a year now and get really excited when you post anything new :- )

    ~ Enyo
    Maryland, US

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your postings and descriptions. Excellent!

    BTW, I contacted you some months back about a party contacting me from Ghana via a chat site. Thank you for the heads up...it was a ruse, I'm sure.

    Keep writing, please.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's crazy! My wifes salon/spa just installed a Pedicure Massage Chair and they use different types of utensils but no butter knife!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an individual who has Ghanaian parents but who was not born there I really enjoy reading your blog as it gives me an 'obroni' perspective of what I might encounter when I finally visit my homeland as an adult. However, I don't mean to step on your toes (no pun intended!) but as much as I find your blog witty, well written and informative, I must say that often times it comes across as if all you have to say about Ghana is shown in a negative light (i.e. rolling power and water, not a diversity of food options, expensive, bad customer serive, bad medical attention,blackouts at the movies, etc.). Even though you'll probably take this with a grain of salt, I do hope that you show that Ghana is so much more than that (so I've hearn from many people)and write some stories that show how wonderful my homeland can be.

    Thanks,
    - Canadian by Birth but Ghanaian at Heart -

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Barb,
    As above, it's prob too far to go, but in Accra there's a salon kinda behind Koala which was really good (except the massage chair was painful too - what is with that??!)
    Think it was called something like City Salon. The owner is half Japanese/Ghanaian and has a couple of salons here in London too.
    I even trust them with my obroni hair. Reasonably priced too.
    Cheers,
    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello, great writing style.
    You do seem to remind me a bit of "Kate" from reality tv disaster Jon and Kate plus eight. You must ask someone if you have no idea what I'm talking about. Anyhoo do you have any thoughts on Herman Gmeiner school. We are considering moving to Tema from States (my husband is Ghanaian) and are trying to get info on this schoool. Thanks,

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  11. Candace,

    Hmmm, I've not heard such nice things about Kate, so I'm not quite sure how I feel about the comparison. ;-)

    Anyway, Herman Gmeiner in Tema is where my kids go. They're in class 3, 4 and JSS 2 right now and will be in 4, 5 and JSS 3 in September.

    Feel free to email me directly at barbslyz@yahoo.com and I'll give you the rundown on the school.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete