Wednesday, June 17, 2009

What I believe

I am a firm believer in the premise that when life hands you lemons you’ve gotta make lemonade. I like to think I express that through my blog. Life in Ghana is different, to say the least. It’s almost always a challenge for someone who has lived the “easy” life of an American. Trust me – we don’t know hardship in New Jersey like we know in Ghana.

But a recent anonymous fan commented that I always seem to find the negative in everything I blog about, and he/she expressed a wish that I write about how wonderful Ghana can be. I have to admit, my first thought was, “does this person know my husband?” Sylvester always says that I only the see the negative.

I look at it like this: How can I not see the negative? The real question is how will that negative affect me? My answer: It’s not going to. I will deal with it, some how or some way – even if it is only by complaining about it; getting it off my chest, so to speak. And I’m from New Jersey; it’s what we do. It’s how we’re raised. We are world class complainers.

If I look at life through rose-tinted glasses – and blog about it in the same way – and a traveler comes to visit here in Ghana expecting a paradise but finding anything but, have I done him a disservice? I believe that I have. I want to be able to say, “Yes! Beneath all of that debris there is beauty. You just have to know its there and keep digging. Have faith!”

Finally, I want to say this. Ghana is my country, now, for all its faults. But, I say the same exact thing when I am in America (though I do seem to say it more if there's a Bush in the White House). There are only two places on earth that I can call home, and this is one of them.

Now, without qualification or disclaimer, here are a few things that I absolutely love about Ghana and its amazing people.

##############################################################################

I love the ingenuity and resourcefulness of Ghanaians; they are truly a people who believe that “where there is a will, there is a way.”

I love the camaraderie of the millions of Ghanaians who, in a single voice, cheer or despair over a football game. You know immediately who is winning or losing, even if you don’t own a television or radio.

I love the school children who start their day with the singing of the Ghana National Anthem; young voices raised in praise of their wonderful homeland never fail to bring a tear to my eye.

I love the lady in the beer store who never fails to have a smile and a kind word (or a free soda) for my children.

I love the Ghanaians who will immediately rally to help someone whose car has broken down, by stopping whatever they’re doing and helping to push the car out of traffic.

I love the craziness of the Makola market; the sights, the smells, the noise and the energy. And there is nothing that can’t be found there.

I love the vendors who roam the neighborhood touting (or shouting) their wares. Need your shoes shined or a hem repaired? Just wait a bit and someone will be along to do it for you, just listen for the rhythmic beating of the shoe shine box or the clinking of the scissors. Need an egg, or toilet paper, crabs or fresh fish. Be patient. The monger is on his or her way.

I love the Fan Ice vendors – especially the one who looks like ex-president Kufuor – who know Alex will have to buy from someone today, so they all ring their bells or honk their horns as they pass by the gate hoping that they will be the chosen one.

I love the weather, whether it’s scorching hot or pouring rain. There is no “bad” weather in Ghana, irrespective of the season. It’s all good.

I love the birds and the lizards. The diversity of the biological life – even in civilized Tema – is amazing. Splash a puddle onto the ground in the middle of a hot day and watch dozens of lizards come out of hiding to lap up the water at the puddle's edge. My own watering hole!

I love the fact that I can buy flip flops for 60 pesawas a pair. And that I can wear them year round.

I love the way Ghanaian women and girls carry babies and children on their back and still manage to do all of the things that they are “supposed” to be doing – shopping, cleaning, cooking, selling, etc.

I love the way the mere presence of a single football (or any sort of round thing that can be substituted for one) can draw men and boys out of thin air and into a pick-up game of football. Anytime, anywhere.

I love the Ghanaian handshake. Even though I stink at it (I never can get that thumb snap thing going) no one ever makes me feel embarrassed.

I love to watch a gaggle of Ghanaian women “teasing” a Ghanaian man for even the tiniest transgression. I may not understand a single word of what it’s all about, but it’s always obviously good natured and never demeaning.

I love the spiciness of Ghanaian food; our tongues have all gotten used to the inclusion of red pepper in nearly everything that anything we eat now needs a little heat, or else it’s too bland.

I love the wax print fabrics; they have the most amazing designs you’ve ever seen. Someone should make a coffee table book out of them.

I love the beauty salon where Alex goes to get her hair corn-rowed for 2 Ghana cedis. They watch this crazy Filipino soap opera on the television there that is weirdly addictive and makes passing the time a cinch.

I love the tiny single serving size of a whole host of goods – juice boxes, coffee sticks, Close Up toothpaste, shito, cookies, crackers, peanuts, powdered milk, Milo, margarine – sure it’s a killer on the ecology, but they sure are cute.

I love the family of monkeys that we see along the road going to Ho, who sit along side trusting that no one will harm them. And no one does.

I love buying 10 fingers of bananas for less than 1 GHC, and finding that the banana lady threw an extra 2 fingers into the bag.

I love having the freedom to express my opinion and perspective, without censorship from anyone or anything, except my own conscience. And my husband, of course.

16 comments:

  1. Hi! I love this post, even if the things you usually write about are true, so is this perspective. You catch the lovely thing sso well!

    As a person who write a blog with mostly positive angle, I dont think that is witholding information from prospective visitors, information about how horrible Africa is have reached everyone across the globe times and times again.

    My point is that this listing of things to love about Ghana is much more unknown and hence much more inetresting. Ayekoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A blog is your opinion and perspective on life. If it doesn't please someone, they shouldn't read it. But it's true all the same because it's a description of your experiences. Period. I will also add that I've never missed the fact that you love Ghana and that you are happy no matter what specifically you post about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! I really appreciate that you took my comment into consideration. I didn't mean any harm in what I said but I'm glad that I got to learn some things about my land that I've never heard before. Hopefully when I finally visit as an adult within the next year or so(fingers crossed)I'll be able to have a list of mainly good (and some bad naturally)things to say about Ghana.

    Thanks again,

    Canadian by Birth but Ghanaian at Heart

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Barb. I absolutely love this blog. It makes me miss Ghana so much more. And I definetly agree with you about the soccer/football thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So that’s how you get a Jersey girl to say something nice! Oh dear, and I thought you had to buy a dozen roses and a diamond ring! Truth be told, you don’t sound as sassy in this new voice. Here is my prayer: “Please.. please..please God don’t let Barb go the way of the Happy News Network. To cheer the Black Stars on when the $40m or so spent on a stadium could have been used to expand the water delivery system in Accra? To say that the constant ‘lights off’ are a good chance for family members to talk to each other? To say that a police officer who gets dashed and allows an overloaded truck to go its way (which truck later overturns and results in five deaths) was just being a jolly good fellow?”

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post

    http://syilingperingatan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I love..." this !!! :-) Ghana certainly does grow on you.

    ~ Enyo
    Maryland, US

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have lived off and on in Liberia for 14 years and in Kumasi and Cape Coast during that time (running from war or setting up house for family)....and i am loving your blog - please, please don't change your style cause someone said you are "negative." HA...you are just telling it like you see it and I am sure there are Ghanaian friends who are laughing right along with the rest of us....When I come to Ghana I feel I have entered civilization...when my Liberian and foreign friends and I commiserate about life in Monrovia, we all sigh and talk about how life in Ghana is "normal." I mean, you have electricity - and sometimes it is even on for 24 hours a day...wow...that is amazing for us who have to live with generators. I hardly even turn mine on - I'm come to love the dark romantic nights - they are cheaper. You have running water - well - sort of - ours in Kumasi must be gathered every few days from our neighbors pump cause our landlady refuses to go to find out what the problem is - but, whatever, at least there is water right outside our door....everything you said about why you love Ghana, I second it but keep telling it how you see it....living overseas is NOT romantic!!!! But it is never dull and always a challenge. Your stories are great and you are living in West Africa - the land of story tellers. All the ones I know would be patting you on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Agree wholeheartedly with these things to love about Ghana.
    One more - I love Sunday mornings where everyone is dressed up so amazingly for church. And the (hopefully clean) hankie waving in church. And how they are in such a rush to get there, it matters not how many road accidents they cause en route! (sorry cynicism slipped in again)

    Cheers,
    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Barb - I can relate to about every one of your list items! Makes me realise how much Ghana gets 'into' you over the years and you don't realise it!

    BTW - are you really a Bush fan? No Obama????

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holli... O-bam-A!!! All the way! Wish there was a way I could be among the American welcoming delegation when he comes to Ghana, but I'm a nobody here. ;-)

    Just that I love my native country (America, that is) EVEN when there's a Bush in the White House, though its often a little harder.

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  12. Again, smiling. i too can relate to your comments. I stood in amazement watching the ladies (and sometimes a gent or two ) walk with many items piled on their heads. I told my husband when we have children, I want to carry our children just like the women do. I watched and attempted to help my sister in law pounding fufu (that was funny- I gave them a good laugh. They got it down to a science and a rhythm). I remember the Fan Ice men on bicycles. What I miss is my meat pie and Fanta cocktail drink (i also had some very good tilapia with grilled peppers and onions and banku). My brother in law introduced me to eating peanuts with my bananas. There are just so many memories, I can hardly list them all. One that really moved me was when I was among some of the locals and they compliment me for being so approachable and "nice". For many of them, it was their first time meeting a woman from America. I was please that I left such as impression. And in return they left a pleasing impression on me as well. Flaws and all, I have a love and appreciation for Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello Barb,

    I'll have what shellylori and Here, there, and Everywhere are having; with a twist of BossMadam on the side. Hope this makes you laugh, you are exact in every expression and I too am glad anonymous asked for a flip side spin. Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Barb,
    I don't know if you are still blogging. I want to thank you for providing us with your honest perspective. You had me smiling and remembering so many good times. I am currently in the US but was born, 'bread', and 'buttered' in Ghana.
    I always enjoy it when others point out the things we have taken for granted over the years and find them really interesting (or news/blog-worthy).
    I hope you are still enjoying our homeland.
    There's is certainly no place like Ghana.
    May I offer you a belated akwaaba? Enjoy it all.

    Yaa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Yaa - I don't think Barb has stopped blogging but she did say she's had no Internet at home for a while...We have faith - she'll be back soon!!!

    Please also visit my Ghana blog - lots of photos to remind you of home!

    Cheers
    Holli in Ghana
    http://hollisramblings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey,

    Still from France! Loved this post!

    Ghana has a lot of defaults like the lack of true toilets or clean public toilet, they alsonhave a problem of having water in the houses (I'm not really able to express myself, but they have to go to me pump to fetch some water, and they don't have it straight in the house - see what I mean?), and Ghanaians are not used to put tha trash in the trashbin, so there are a lot of trash in the street.

    BUT I love so much Ghana, it is a country of liberty ! You feel free there, the wheather is soooo good, and people are so nice, generous, interessant, etc etc !!!

    Looking forward to going to this country as soon as possible!!

    ReplyDelete