Friday, July 10, 2009

The President of the United States... Now and Later!

In a few hours time, Air Force One will touch down at Kotoka International Airport and President and Mrs. Obama and the Obama children will walk down the steps into the history books. I know, I know… what’s the big deal? We’ve already had two American presidents here before. Both Clinton and Bush made forays into Ghana during their respective terms of office. But this visit by an American president is different. Because this is one my American-born children can relate to, in more ways than one.

We would love for our children to get a glimpse of history in the making, and we are going to try our darnedest to be somewhere close to where the President will be while he is in Ghana. We have learned that he will be paying a visit to La General Hospital in Accra, a few blocks away from the Zigah family residence in South Labadi Estates in Osu. The family home is situated directly on the main road, so you can bet your bottom U.S. Dollar (or Ghana Cedi, for that matter) that we will be outside of that house waiting for the Beast to roll by. Even if it means that we have to wake up before God to get there (and before the roads are closed, of course).

We will wave and yell and cheer when the presidential motorcade passes, and hope that he may notice out his window the three children who are “different” than the rest of the people surrounding them (but certainly, not different from President Obama). Let me tell you something: One of those children is destined for the White House. I can feel it. Remember the picture of a young Bill Clinton shaking the hands of President John F. Kennedy? What were the odds? Well, this will be that kind of photo opportunity, so if you’re anywhere nearby Osu, have your camera handy.




Sean C.K. Zigah, U.S. President-elect, 2032



Michael P.K. Zigah, U.S. President-elect, 2036


Alexandra G.A. Zigah, U.S. President-elect, 2040
(she can actually run in 2036, but let's give Michael a shot, eh?)


All this, of course, is provided that we can even get to Osu. You see, Ghana is still Ghana. The visit by POTUS is not going to change that. We’re still going to have all of the problems that face a developing country – crumbling infrastructure, corruption, illiteracy, child abuse, health-care issues, etc., etc. Today, the problem – at least as it applies to us – is a fuel shortage. There is absolutely no gas (petrol, they call it here) to be had, anywhere in Tema or Accra. I can’t even back my car out of the gate to hang my laundry much less drive the van into Osu.

So, there may very well be no opportunity for our children to see history in the making. At least, not in person. Thank God for television and the internet. Of course, that only works if there’s electricity coursing through the lines. Lights off, anyone?

5 comments:

  1. Where is he staying? Labadi Beach?
    Think that's where Clinton stayed.

    I'm excited and I don't even live in Ghana.

    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, it's very hush hush where he's staying. Rumor has it it might be Holiday Inn (ugh) because they're clearing out the whole hotel. It's closest to the airport, but certainly not representative of the beautiful hotels that Ghana has to offer.

    If it were me, I'd stay in Labadi Beach. We were there for a couple of days when Mike was a year old, and it was lovely.

    Oh well, they didn't ask me, even though I am the tripadvisor expert for Accra! ;-)

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I run into your blog trying to find a picture of the La General Hospital to put on my facebook page. I am a Ghanaian currently living in the U.S and I grew up in South Labadi Estates, 1st Otswe street, which is literally a 2 minute walk to what used to be the La Polyclinic. I remember my not so fun memories of my numerous visits there for Malaria. My dad and sisters still live in South La so I hope they are able to see the first family and I hope you and your family are able to see them too. All the best. I will check out the rest of your blog later.

    Cheers
    Kwame

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    I discovered your blog yesterday while searching for Ghana blogs and Ghana bloggers. I am a Ghanaian Canadian and I must say I love your blog. I always love to listen to the perspectives of foreigners who love Ghana and are knowledgeable about Ghana.

    I wouldn't call you a foreigner anymore, since you are living in Ghana, but it is still very refreshing to read your blog. Keep up the good work, and I hope you continue to have pleasant experiences in Ghana.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad to come across your blog. I am currently looking for other blogs like yours: Ghana from an American's point of view and vice versa. I was in Ghana last December. I actually stayed in Dawhenya, visited in my husband's (our) family in Tema (I think I's deen that Southern Fried Chicken place you spoke of-Smile. Being from the South it peaked my curiosity. I will say I had some very good fried chicken at another place though) and we visit extended family in Larteh. I enjoyed my trip and look forward to going back. I was also intrigued with the fact that you decided to move there. I think about that from time to time as well. I would love for our future children to have an appreciation for both sides of their heritage. Thanks for sharing. I look forward to reading more. Smiling even more. Everything you said from the electricity to every thing else I did experience, but mostly the people were mostly nice and generous.

    ReplyDelete