Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Somewhere, not far from here

Yesterday, I was tagged by a friend on Facebook to read an article in the Daily Guide, one of Ghana’s newspapers. The article reports the death of an 8-year old girl who died, allegedly, from a caning she received from her teacher for doing poorly in a mental exercise.


I am at once saddened and angered that these kinds of things still continue to happen here in Ghana. I just did a google search and was horrified to learn that the Ghana Education Service has never “officially” banned caning in schools. Headmasters are allowed to use their discretion to administer 6 lashes of the cane.


My children, all of whom attend a quasi-private school here in Tema, have a fear of the lash or the cane or the “black beauty” as one teacher quaintly referred to a hard lengthy piece of black rubber. Sean has been caned, and I came to know of it after the fact, when he reported that the headmistress of the school (his previous one in Accra) caned him and another student for playing football on the balcony. He told me that he protected himself by wearing “armor” beneath his school shorts, i.e. several pairs of underpants and boxer shorts. Funny, right? Not at all.


One of the questions we always ask when we apply to a school is about their position on caning and corporal punishment. Invariably, they all deny that they use it as a means of discipline. Granted, my children have not been “caned” at SOS. They have, however, been subjected to various other forms of punishment including being made to kneel down on gravel with their arms upheld over their heads for an undetermined length of time, having to clean the (absolutely disgusting) bathrooms or the gutters or having to march in the hot equatorial sun.


Gee, I know it was a long time ago that I was in public school – 1966 through 1979 – but I can’t recall ever being punished in any manner such as these. Yes, I had to stand in the corner or wear a piece of gum on my nose or write lines over and over again. I was no angel – a goody-two-shoes, perhaps – but certainly not an angel. Nonetheless, no teacher ever laid a hand on me, or forced me to do manual labor (other than cleaning a blackboard, of course).


Caning a child because she was doing poorly in her dictation and mental… I still can’t believe that. What if she wasn’t feeling well? Perhaps she was malarial, or had slept poorly the night before, or hadn’t eaten and was merely hungry and distracted? Or what if – shocker – she was just not a good student?


Herein lies the crux of the whole caning issue. The continuing misguided belief of ignorant people that discipline and punishment is the only way to ensure that a child excels in school. Nothing about reward or encouragement or nurturing or empowerment. Nothing about doing your personal best. It’s all about being “the” best. Being number one.


News flash! We.Can’t.All.Be.Number.One.


I will probably anger a lot of Ghanaian parents because, if they went through the school system here, it may be what they continue to believe. They all feel that they lived through it (relatively unscathed), and so should their children. Heck, my husband still believes it, and it is probably the primary cause of stress in our marriage.


Not that long ago, Mrs. Anna Bossman, the Acting Commissioner of CHRAJ (Commission on Human Rights and Administrative Justice) visited a public school to talk to children about child abuse. I am sure that this case will be brought to her attention and, knowing her as I do, that she will take a firm stand and bring this matter to resolution. Let’s hope the Ghana Education Service does, too.


Of course, there will be no resolution for a mother and father who are today making plans to bury their child. There may be closure, but that’s little comfort.


Somewhere, not far from here, a mother is crying. She shouldn’t have to be.

8 comments:

  1. My least favorite thing about attending primary school in Ghana was the cane. I remember my older brother pleading with my parents to repeat a grade he had passed because he was afraid of his will be teacher in this new grade.

    I remember being hit so hard by a teacher at age 7, it left a mark. This was for one mistake on a mental exercise codenamed – (one wrong one lash). This form of punishment really needs to stop; personally I do not see the benefit.

    I later attend school in Sierra Leone where a parent came to school with her own cane to punish a teacher for caning her kid. Cane as a form of punishment was not common in schools my siblings and I attended in Freetown, Sierra Leone

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adjoa, I just find it such a hypocrisy that these schools and the teachers and administrators in them, who are constantly touting and spouting their Christian ethics and teachings of the bible, have so little compassion for a child.

    It's a sad commentary, isn't it?

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbz, do you believe there is no place for discipline in training a child?

    If you do believe some discipline is a necessary part of the overall regime of child training, what methods of discipline would you recommend?

    I you don't believe in any discipline at all, how do you expect the children to cope when life itself disciplines them later on?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous, I don't have a problem with discipline per se.

    I Just don't believe caning a child because he or she didn't respond quickly enough or with the correct answer has any place in any school system. Period. Nor do I believe a suitable substitute for physical abuse is verbal or psychological abuse, embarrassment or humiliation.

    All children learn at their own pace. As a child, I was the "brain." I absolutely HATED when teachers used to hold me out as an example to my siblings... "hope you're as good a student as Barbara!" or "hope you'll be a straight A student like your sister!" Even then I understood that it wasn't right.

    No amount of discipline is going to make a kid's brain work any better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Caning in school has always been something that has bothered me quite a lot. I was so disappointed/afraid when I ended up in the class of one teacher who was notorious for her "whipping" skills in class 4.

    There was a time back in my school when one teacher beat one of my classmates so badly that one of her eyes got swollen- you could see the cane mark across her eye (and mind you, she was a good student). It was over something very petty. After that incident, I never saw a cane used by any of the teachers in the class room. Punishments then included picking up trash around the school after lunch break or sweeping an entire classroom.

    Personally, I think Ghanaian teachers need to be trained on now to handle students who pose any kind of problem - whether they are being difficult or underperforming in the classroom differently, other than caning them.


    Sad sad story, really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Barb - you cannot disregard the cultural issues at play here - both in your (and my!) opinion that caning is wrong and couter-productive, and in the views of 90% of Ghanaians - that it is right and just and necessary. You mentioned that even your husband believes in it.

    When we enter into relationships across continents and decide to live in the other cultural, there always comes a time where our cultural values come into play and will one day clash.

    Corporal punshiment is one of those issues.

    I have spoken to so many Ghanaians on this issue and it is the rarity, not the norm who believe it is wrong. Of course when a child dies from it, all that changes...

    But are we right to condemn a practise that the majority of a culture believes in - especially when we are the outsider - just because we come from a developed country?

    It's a difficult question.

    My boys went to a Ghanaian school and when one was caned, resulting in a huge welt I went to see the teacher ina fury. She shrugged and said, "it is the fault of you people's complexion. You can see I beat the whole class and none of the other children have marks!". I was stunned and told her NEVER to beat my son again. I gave her my number and told her to call me if he caused any trouble at all.

    She never called. I'm sure she had a good laugh when I left though... For her beating children is as natural as teaching them their ABC's. I was just the crzy Obruni mom who had some weird ideas...

    I say this issue is not going to change in Ghana for MANY MANY years...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure where I stand on caning in schools. I was a very rebelious student and suspect I wouldn't have been quite so bad if caning was still in UK schools!

    However when I was in Ghana and saw a container shop selling canes, I asked what they were for. The lady said for disciplining (i.e. beating) children. I laughed, assuming it was her joke. But no, REALLY - they actually sell these things on the street specifically for beating children!

    I did consider buying one - even if I didn't use it (which of course I wouldn't), I think the visible deterent would actively improve my son's behaviour!

    Cheers,
    Karen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very sad about the 8yr old that died.
    I was a little over-active as a kid, and would rather be out playing than sitting in class so I did get lashed a lot. I believe without that I would have become a liability to society.
    There is a core problem that needs to be addressed; are the people employed as teachers really qualified to teach and manage children? Do these "teachers" know other methods of effective discipline? They probably do not. These same teachers use one specific teaching method for ALL kids they ever teach. Expecting each of them to comprehend lessons at the same rate. (Special Ed class? forget about it!). Same with discipline. Adjoa mentioned that she got lashed for a minor mistake in some class work. If I were in her class, I would've gotten lashed for that same mistake too. Difference is, I never paid attention in class. She did but just happened to make a minor mistake. However, "Teacher" punishes us the same way although I am the one that needs more errrm "coaxing".
    Hopefully with progress & time, there will be real educationists in all our kids' classrooms.

    ReplyDelete